Barton Mines is a family owned business that has been producing high quality garnet abrasives since 1878. Barton’s abrasives are used in many applications including sandpaper, waterjet cutting, blasting and grinding. The company owns and operates mines and mills in the Adirondack Mountains of upstate New York where they place a high value on environmental stewardship.
With incentives from National Grid, Barton Mines recently transformed their new corporate headquarters in downtown Glens Falls, NY to incorporate efficiency measures that exceed the New York State building energy code by 49 percent.
The Barton Mines project completely renovated a three-story brick building originally constructed in 1865. Energy saving improvements to the 16,000 square foot facility include:
- Glazing upgrades;
- Above-code insulation;
- Energy efficient lighting and lighting controls;
- High efficiency motors;
- Demand ventilation;
- Efficient elevator; and
- Combined heat and power.
The new Barton Mines headquarters has achieved a LEED Platinum designation, based on a number of green design and construction features that benefit the building and the community as a whole. These include:
- Wind-power source for electricity;
- Vegetated green roof and storm water collection system that significantly enhances water conservation; and
- Indoor environment free of chemicals with state-of-the-art ventilation and lighting systems.